Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Article for Critique Essay Changed?--UPDATE

A student informed me that the original article I assigned you to read for the critique is still available if you access it through the university library online. As such if you'd still like to use that article then you may. Last night I couldn't get it to work so that's why I found a new article for everyone. However if you would like to use a different article, which is much shorter, I am providing you all with one.

There is another article that you may critique by the same author. The article is called: "Loss of Family Languages: Should Educators be Concerned?" by Lilly Wong Fillmore. You can access it here. The good news is it's only 8 pages!

One word that you might not know used in the article is 'chia-pet.' This was popular in the US a few years ago. Here's a link with info about chia-pets. The phrase 'subtractive process' is also used. Don't just Google this world; the results you get might not be what you're looking for. What the author means is that often when people learn English (at least when they immigrate to the U.S.), they loose their original language(s). That is, English replaces their language(s). Another term you might be unfamiliar with here is language loss. I think you can figure out this term from context but if you're having trouble let me know. If you have any more questions about vocabulary just ask! :)

SOME MORE GENERAL INFORMATION:
I have created a word file with general background about the issue discussed in the article. Though I created this document for the second article, some information in it can still provide you with good background for the original article. You can access it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment